Tuesday, April 19, 2011

It would be okay with me

If my brain were donated to this kind of research, my life will have been worthwhile. Apparently, prozac effects genes in the brain in an amazing array of little dots. How do I know? I've seen it. Thanks Wired and Not Exactly Rocket Science (where I first found the link).

Whew! There's so much stuff on the internet. Could be overwhelming. In fact, I'm basically tired of amazing photographs. Until I see the next one. My favorites for today are: 1. the happy topic of people being crazy, in a colorful way and 2. a look back at the age of radio in Russia. Be sure you make it to the photos from on top of a tower. Also, just for kicks, what spiders do when it's absolutely too wet out. Spooky, if you are afraid of spiders.

From off planet? Mercury. Now, I've heard that meteors bring life. Not sure where, but someone mentioned something about moisture from meteors hitting the moon... or maybe Earth? Sorry the details are so foggy. I don't read and accept everything that comes along. But these photos of Mercury make me think two things. First, meteors hit planets all the time and anyone who thinks that only God throws rocks is nuts. Second, where might these waters and potentially living organisms have come from? I say, there's other life in the universe and that's why we're here. Kind of an Elf Quest fantasy that we're just the ape/alien hybrid version of a higher form of life that's out there, somewhere. Why not? Likely as any other story. And I love Elf Quest.

Political banter is just too terrifying these days. I don't even want to know who is saying what unless it's someone bashing Republicans for being stupid, lying, transparent money-grubbers. I will bash with this: Republicans in Florida think that the word uterus is dirty. Maybe we can all take an inside look at the human body at Google Body. Ways to use this magic are coming soon, I presume. For now, it's just fun to see each system appear and disappear as the slider is moved. Boy or girl!

Back to the brain, some reading for those of you who would be heros. I don't really like heros, in their traditional comic book incarnations. Batman is cool in his Byronic way. Spiderman is kind of boring. Superman is just annoying in his depressed, neglected perfection. But maybe this article makes me feel different. The gist? Heroism is a type, pre-defined, at least partially, by brain chemistry and genetics. Rule breakers, in general, are that type. People who go out of their way to do what's right, are overwhelmed by the empathy they feel for others, and are not afraid of getting into trouble as long as the cause is served. This describes people who re-define the rules at work because the rules don't make sense, and mostly get away with it even if they're not trying. I guess that kind of describes Superman. But when I'm Lois, I will always pick Jimmy. Afterall, I am definitely the rule-breaking type and if heroism is called for, I'll do the saving.

No comments:

Post a Comment